Monday, August 11, 2008

Quest for Balance - Another Update...

Well, I have to be honest with you, things are so crazy in my life right now, I haven't been formally following the Four Corner Balance Drills as recommended by Coach Scott Sonnon. He recommended practicing these drills - the only balance drills you'll ever need - every day for 10-15 minutes for 1-3 months, then moving on to the next level. I started this quest for balance probably about a month ago or so. My balance seemed to improve almost immediately. Not drastically, mind you, but immediately. Even though I have not been following his recommendations to the letter, I have been trying to fit the drills into my life while just standing around in what would otherwise be wasted time.

Our sensei showed us another drill. Let me see if I can get this right - on one leg, first, knee to chest, then, knee bent behind you holding your ankle / foot, then straight out in front, straight out in back, straight out to side as if excecuting a side snap kick in full extension. I think that is it. If not, very close anyway. Anyway, at home, I can actually do this and hold each pose for a second or two but put me in the class, and there I go again - I can't balance for the life of me.

When it comes to my balance, I believe I need to shift my focus to my focus…

No comments: