Saturday, July 19, 2008

Quest for Balance - First Update...

Just a quick update on the progress of my now 3-day journey in the quest for balance, using Coach Scott Sonnon's "Four Corner Drills". First of all, I can tell you that I now know why you must work at the basic level for 1-3 months. Coach Sonnon suggests you practice for 10-15 minutes each day. Well, I would assume he means at one time. I had to modify that right out of the gate. I am doing the exercise a few times per day and I don't hold it very long yet. I plan on improving on that - in fact, if his claim is true, I am counting on being able to hold the poses for much longer by the end of the 3rd month. I am also not able to lift my legs as high as is shown in the photos accompanying his article. But again, I'm sure that will improve as well. However, I do seem to feel a bit more stability on one leg already so I am encouraged. Anyone that has taken the challenge with me - what are your results thus far?
"

7 comments:

TwentyThree (aka Her) said...

I was *going* to join you, but I got hurt, so no can do right now. Please keep us updated though - I plan to start trying this as soon as I'm able to do so!

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'm just catching up to your more recent posts. I bookmarked the page, and I'll let you know soon if I'm in the game or not. My balance is decent, but could certainly stand improvement.

Martial Arts Mom said...

Hey, found a way to really work this - in the pool! Front and to the side are not a biggie but when you do the push backward...whoa! As weird as it may sound, I think I'm improving already. Join the challenge when you can!

Perpetual Beginner said...

I'm willing to give this a shot. I tried out the exercises yesterday and found them doable, but trickier than I was anticipating.

Martial Arts Mom said...

I know what you mean - I found them trickier too. But you know what - only about a week in and I'm able to hold my legs up higher and for quite a bit longer than I was the first time I tried it. So, I think Coach Sonnon is making a believer outta me! Glad to have you in on the challenge!

Alicia said...

I've been trying to practice this at night when I watch TV. I've already seen improvement -- although I have learned that as soon as I try to talk to my husband, my concentration fails and I tip over.

Martial Arts Mom said...

I found my first real sign of improvement last night in class when we were doing kicks. We were doing a low and a high roundhouse without rechambering and I could actually do it! And then we were doing back kicks and since they were so much like the last part of the balance drill, I did those pretty darn well, too! I was impressed how much the balance drills seem to be helping.